Applications for the 2015-16 College House Undergraduate Research Program are now open! See below to download the application.
Goals of the Program
• To involve more undergraduates in original research
• To provide instruction on how to put together a fellowship or research proposal
• To increase student contact with faculty inside and out of the College Houses
• To build intellectual community within and across the Houses
• To give students tools for success that they can use inside and outside of the classroom (not only writing and research, but also public presentation/speaking, peer mentoring, and event planning)
All freshmen, sophomores, and juniors currently living in a College House are eligible. (Houses may have additional eligibility rules; check with your House for details.) A research proposal in any academic field, and at any stage of development, may qualify for this research fellowship; research beginners are welcome to apply as long as they have an interesting idea and lots of enthusiasm. Each House will determine its own specific procedure for selecting its research fellow — a procedure that will be advertised in each House.
Role of the College House Research Fellow
Every College House Research Fellow will serve as a mentor to other undergraduates, particular residents of the House that selected him or her. They will have the responsibility for planning and organizing one or two informal research events per semester for College House residents. In addition, the research fellow will contribute to the Penn Previews Research Symposium (as either a planner or presenter).
Each individual College House may further define the role of their particular research fellow, who may be asked, for instance, to present their research to other residents, or to help mentor the candidates preparing to apply for the following year's research fellow position.
Sometime after they are selected, the research fellows will receive a short list of dates to hold the following spring semester for dinners and meetings with other College House Research Fellows, as well a the date for the Penn Previews Symposium.
All Fellows will be actively mentored by faculty and staff in College Houses as well as the Center for Undergraduate Research and Fellowships (CURF).
• Click here to download the 2015-16 application in MICROSOFT WORD (.doc) format
• Click here to download the 2015-16 application in ADOBE PDF (.pdf) format
Unless given other instructions by your House office, applications should be completed and returned to the House office for consideration.